Odorous house ants, Pavement ants, field ants, carpenter ants (also wood destroying insects) . Depends on the time of year. Pavement ants on mounds in driveway. Odorous, carpenter are common inside houses.
Ants are pesky pest, commonly found in homes, restaurants, hospitals, offices, warehouses, and other buildings where they can find food and water.
In the environment, ants perform many useful functions such as feeding on other pests (e.g., fleas, caterpillars, termites), dead insects, and decomposing tissue from dead animals. In the home however, ants can create a stubborn infestation.
There are two categories of ant problems that you will encounter:
1) Ants that live outside and forage in the home.
2) Ants that actually nest inside your home. Ants in the second category may be present year round, although they will be more active in the warmer months. These species may infest food products.
Ant species that may live in Nebraska homes include:
- pavement ants: Also known as sugar ants, these are commonly spotted forming mounds on driveways and sidewalks
- carpenter ants: These large wood destroying insects can do serious, costly structural damage to homes and buildings
- crazy ants
- odorous ants
What to do:
- Ant infestations are not easy to control, and different strategies should be used depending on nest location and species.
- Ants can be controlled with a combination of Integrated Pest Management (good sanitation, removing pheromone trails, caulking entry points, etc.) and eliminating their active nests.
- Liquid treatments and/or baits can be used to kill foraging ants and destroy nests, but strategies designed to prevent further infestations should be used in conjunction with chemical treatment.